University an odd one in my opinion. You make the transition into a proper adult (at least legally), and have to deal with a whole host of new problems! What is budgeting? Who will I live with next year? What is a seminar? As a Master’s student approaching her 4th Christmas as a student the time sees to have flown by! So here are some top tips to make the most of all that Sheffield has to offer! (We are the #1 student union for a reason)
- Visit the Careers Service. It is never too early or too late. They offer a whole range of help from looking over CVs to having a career meeting to discuss your future. You might as well pop in between lectures, you’ll be thankful later on!
- Look for opportunities targeted at students at the University and do them, whether it is networking with employers on campus, taking part in the SURE scheme or becoming a campus guide. Build your skills and experience.
- Start noting skills and experiences down. This is so underated. You could do it in a notepad, write ideas on post it notes, create a spreadsheet, just make sure you do it! So much time would have been saved on job applications and postgraduate applications if I had done this! What have you learnt? What skills does it show?
- Do some volunteering. It can be doing something you enjoy, a chance to gain some experience (e.g. working with children, conservation) or simply a chance to give back during some free time! It looks great and feels even better!
- Join a society! This is honestly the best decision I’ve made at Uni, you make friends for life and have a lot of fun with a shared interest.
- Explore Sheffield! Sheffield has loads to offer from scenic areas, cute shops and amazing food places (the Peddlers market is an absolute fave). You might as well get to know the city you’re living in, who knows where graduate life will take you!
Oh and don’t forget to have fun before the 9-5 life becomes yours!